Matthew Mandel, LMT, Pain Therapy Specialist
Pain management with greater mobility and movement quality
I became a massage therapist to enhance the lives of people. And when I discovered that so many people live with pain—chronic, episodic or acute—I was determined to find a way to help them feel better. As a massage therapist, Full Body Certified Active Release Techniques® (ART) Provider, and Fascial Manipulation® (FM) Provider, I’ve spent over 25 years helping people feel better with greater mobility and movement quality.
My approach to treatment utilizes my extensive knowledge of soft-tissue manual therapies and my training in Active Release Techniques®, or ART®, a movement-based massage system which is extremely useful for accurately locating the cause of soft tissue discomforts that affect muscles, tendons, ligaments, fascia and nerves and is renowned for resolving (or greatly reducing) these discomforts quickly and durably.
I was the team therapist for 11 years for the New York City Brazilian Jiu Jitsu competition martial arts team and my clients have included national champion competitors, professional dancers, and amateur athletes. With years of experience as a personal trainer, I understand the needs of people who want to get and stay in shape, as well as those who want to maximize their athletic performance.
After studying Tui Na (traditional Chinese bodywork) in Beijing in 1993 I also studied Shiatsu, and then added Western therapeutic techniques to my skillset. I received training in several disciplines of manual therapy, each specific to the different soft-tissue systems of the body, including musculoskeletal therapy, fascial release, visceral manipulation, neural manipulation, craniosacral therapy, lymphatic drainage and taping techniques. I am a graduate of the 1000+ hour massage program at the Swedish Institute in New York City and my advanced training is extensive; see the list below.*
When my clients can resume their activities and with greater mobility and movement quality, it enhances their lives—and I’m happy to be a part of their wellness.
*My advanced training includes:
- Active Release Techniques®: Upper Extremity, Lower Extremity, Spine, Complex Protocols, Nerve Entrapment
- Fascial Manipulation Association: Certified Fascial Manipulation provider (Levels 1&2)
- Integrative Diagnosis: Levels 1-5
- Ohashi Institute: Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced Shiatsu
- Beijing College of Traditional Chinese Medicine: 6-month Tui-Na program
- Kinesio-Taping Association International: Kinesio-Taping Basic & Advanced
- Upledger Institute: Craniosacral Therapy 1&2
- Chikly Institute: Lymphatic Drainage Therapy 1
- Barral Institute: Visceral Manipulation 1,2&4, and Neural Manipulation 1,3&4
- Dr. Guy Voyer: Fascial Normalization for the Trunk, ELDOA stretching
- Swedish Institute College of Health Sciences degree in Massage Therapy